Fraudsters pose as fraud team representatives
Financial intuitions around the country are reporting phishing attacks on accountholders where criminals are posing as fraud team representatives from the institution. These attacks have resulted in as much as $10,000 in losses from a single attack.
In these attacks, the fraudster calls, texts, or emails the account holder to “verify” multiple pieces of private information so they can gain access to the account and drain it of funds. In many instances, criminals “spoof” the financial institution’s phone number so it shows up as such on the accountholder’s caller IDs. Information requested of the account holder includes, but is not limited to:
- Online banking user name and password
- PIN number
- Security codes
- Account number
- Card number
Here is what you can do NOW to mitigate exposure to these crimes:
- Remember, Granite Credit Union will never ask you to give us the pin on your card.
- If you have fraud on your card you will be told to get a new card, not a new pin.
- You can call us if you are ever unsure you are talking to a representative at Granite Credit Union.
- Online banking is a great way to keep track of charges on your account.
- Contact us at 801-288-3000 if you find fraud on your account.